The New Disability Tax Credit Certificate

Last year Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) held consultations across the country regarding the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) program. The welcome changes involve a simplified Disability Tax Credit Certificate Form T2201 and the method of claiming adjustments to the Disability Amount for previous years.

Some highlights include:

  • The form is reduced from 12 pages to 6
  • Detailed instructions are now moved to the Form RC4064 – Disability Related Information
  • Added a new section to allow for adjustment for previous tax years
  • Added more space for “Effects of Impairments”
  • Added a gentle hint for each mandatory section by labeling it “Mandatory
  • Shortened some sections for clarity
  • For each type of impairment, CRA has added who may certify that section

All these changes are most welcome and will simplify the process for new applicants. The basic premise of DTC application has not changed and advice from other parents who have completed the process remains largely intact.

My detailedĀ T2201 Guide has now been amended. I strongly recommend that you download and read this guide prior to making your initial application.

13 thoughts on “The New Disability Tax Credit Certificate”

  1. Hi, are these changes applicable only to newly diagnosed kids? My kid is already aged 7, diagnosed at age 3 has received DTC since age 4 I believe. Do i need to re-apply?

    1. There is no need to re-apply just because the form has changed. What is important is the effective date that CRA has attached to your child’s disability status. After applying the first time, the government should have sent you a letter telling you when you need to re-apply for disability status.

  2. What happens if you receive a new diagnosis? Like Autism? My child was approved from 2014-2023 and he was born in 201

  3. I have a severely disabled child who has been diagnosed as autistic as well as having a chromosomal abnormality. The geneticist stated that it was “de novo” meaning that his syndrome presented itself shortly after conception. When I got the pediatrician to fill out the form it was dated from the date of his diagnosis which was when he was 1 year old. This was 5 years ago so I didn’t think to question her. I am wondering if I could reapply so we could get the Tax credit from the date of his birth. Have you heard of anyone doing this before? I am not worried that he will not qualify as he has a very obvious disability (non-verbal, low mobility etc). Thanks!

    1. Hi Lindsey

      You may certainly submit a new T2201 with the corrected dates. You might also consider attaching a letter stating that you already have a T2201 on file but you are just correcting the date for which the disability manifested itself.

      Once you have the corrected Disability Tax Credit Certificate, you will then have to write to the government with a T1-ADJ form (or even a simple letter) asking for the Disability Tax Credit and the Child Disability Benefit for the missing year.

      Good luck!

  4. Hello,

    My daughter was diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum and as well with ADD. The pediatrician was only willing to backdate it to the year he met her, not to birth. He insists that he never backdated to birth and is unwilling to do so. She was approved but only to 2014. She was born in 2008… Should I have another pediatrician fill out another application? What if they fill it out completely different?


    1. Hi Jennifer

      It sounds to me like you need to find a new pediatrician. This is not very open-minded of him. I would recommend that you connect with other parents in your local area and find out who the doctors are who are familiar with autism and know how to write the form effectively. I would not accept the result that you have

  5. Hi Milburn,
    I have autistic twins who diagnosed 2 years ago, We are already receiving the tax credit but only for my wife because her name is on the paper. Do you think that as a father can I apply for my other son to receive tax credit as well as family caregiver amount?
    Thank you.

    1. You may claim the credit twice (once for each child). You or your wife may claim it twice or you can each take one. Just make sure that whoever claims it has enough tax owing to get the use out of the credit. Generally I recommend that the higher income spouse claim the amount,

  6. Hi Milburn,
    Thank you for the information.
    So I just need to send a letter and claim my previous years’ tax?. Do I also need to send a adjustment form T1-ADJ?

    I did my tax return this year, but Turbo tax does not allow me to claim that credit, only my wife can get?
    Thank you so much.

    1. You can certainly use the T1-ADJ form. It’s very easy and probably the best way forward. Sorry, I’m not sure what happened with TurboTax but you can claim for each child that qualifies for the Disability Tax Credit.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: