Extra Year of Preschool

What if my child skips the first year of school?

The child then falls under the domain of the school system. If your child is deemed not ready to enter the school system, then the school board may contribute towards the cost of a preschool and an aide (ideally one picked by you from your team).

Great, where do I get the money?

Sorry, but you have more bureaucracy to deal with. If you thought dealing with MCFD  was difficult, just wait for what is in store next. Generally speaking, this is the procedure:

  • Ensure that your child is registered with the school in your catchment area. Let the school principal know of your intentions in writing.
  • Contact Student Support Services in your local school board office to enquire about the application process. Put your intentions in writing.
  • Ensure that you start the process early. Six months before school is scheduled to begin would not be considered early.
  • An IEP (Individual Education Plan) will be required. This is a document that your consultant should write up for you.
  • Keep detailed records of all communication with the school system. Email is an excellent way of tracking the dates and details of correspondence.
  • Good luck, you will need it.

What if funding is not forth coming from the school system?

It’s time to go back to Supported Child Care and request funds. Don’t wait too long to put your request in. If you wait too long, there may not be funds in place.

%d bloggers like this: